Friday, July 6, 2012

HomeBrewing - Sparkling Hard Cider

HomeBrewing - Sparkling Hard Cider

So this is my first go at doing any type of serious homebrew. I had tried to make hard cider once before but it ended with an all but tragic result - More on that later. 
To get started this whole thing was inspired by my wife who has found a new love in this sparkling cider. She has been drinking something made by Michelob. Anyway I had been thinking about giving this all another go and have just been waiting for the right reason. Because I can spin that whole thing off as something for her it worked out well :-).



Any how I started off the following ingredients:


  1. 3 Gal Motts Apple Juice
  2. 14oz Red Wheat Berries
  3. 1#+ White Sugar
  4. 4 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
  5. WYeast brand Mead yeast
  6. 1 Gallon Purified Water
I also used this as an excuse to purchase some standard home brew equipment from Great Fermintations in Indianapolis.

I purchased:
  1. A bucket with sealing lid
  2. A bubble stop airlock
  3. A basic Hydrometer
  4.  Fermax Yeast Nutrients
  5. Pectic Enzyme
  6. Cheesecloth
When you are ready to brew you need to bust the packet in the yeast open about 3 hours in advance and let the package swell.
Once I had everything gathered I placed half a gallon of water in the freezer, wrapped the Wheat in the cheesecloth, tied it off, and placed it in a stock pot and brought 2 Gallons of Apple Juice and 1half gallon of water to a boil. I let this whole thing boil for about 20 minutes.

Next I added the second half gallon of water that had been in the freezer for about an hour. This helped bring the temp down a little quicker. I added the Pectic Enzyme (1/2 teaspoon / gallon), the sugar and gradually measured the gravity until I was in the neighborhood of 1.1 which should yield about 10% Alochol.

Next let the solution cool until it is between 70-75 F. Once there add the yeast nutrient and the yeast to the mixture. I went ahead and stirred everything up at this time. 

Now seal off the fermenter and place the airlock in the lid. I'v been told that it should be between 2-3 weeks (stored between 65-75 F). Just check the airlock periodically, once you no longer see it bubble your ready for the next step. 

More to follow at that time!

No comments:

Post a Comment